T Tennis

Alexander Zverev has canceled his appearance in front of a German audience in Stuttgart. © ANSA / YOAN VALAT

“Not ready”: Zverev cancels Stuttgart appearance

Germany's best tennis player Alexander Zverev canceled his start in Stuttgart this week. The tournament organizers announced this two days after Hamburg lost the French Open final.

“I've played a lot of tennis in the last few weeks and reached the final in Paris, where I played five difficult sets. “I feel that my body is not ready to go from sand to grass right now,” said the fourth in the world rankings, explaining his rejection on Tuesday.


Zverev was the top seed at the start of the grass season at the Weissenhof and was due to start the tournament in the round of 16 on Thursday. But after the final in Paris, which he lost to the Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz, it was already clear that Zverev would not compete in Stuttgart. Zverev had already cancelled at short notice last year; at that time he had sustained a thigh injury in the semifinals of Roland Garros.

“To a certain extent understandable”

The organizers regret the cancellation. However, the renewed decision to forego the tournament is "understandable to a certain extent," said tournament director Edwin Weindorfer. "We have fought extremely hard over the past two days to ensure that he enters the tournament on Thursday as planned," said the official. "We assume that we will be able to welcome Alexander Zverev to Stuttgart next year in accordance with our multi-year agreement."

Zverev will most likely begin his preparation for the Grand Slam classic in Wimbledon (July 1st - 14th) next week in Halle, Westphalia. The organizers announced his attendance again on Tuesday. In Stuttgart, French veteran Richard Gasquet will take Zverev's place in the main draw.

Comments (0)

Complete your profile information to write comments.
Edit Profile

You have to sign into use the comment function.

© 2024 First Avenue GmbH